BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVES
C-DAC, MOHALI (CHANDIGARH)
IMPORTANCE OF REPAIR, SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE OF MEDICAL EQUIPMENT IN THE DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) is an autonomous Scientific society of Department of Electronics, Govt. of India.
Apart from leading edge research in Electronics & IT technology, C-DAC endeavors train manpower in Information Technology, Electronics Product Design, Manufacturing and Repair & Maintenance.
The institute provides value addition courses to the students of engineering and other professional institutes to meet specific needs of the industry.
In addition, the information technology and telecom sectors have opened up suddenly those vistas, which require a very large specially trained manpower. Moreover, these sectors are highly dynamic and need training and re-training of the manpower, at a rapid rate.
The growing gap of requirement of the industry and its fulfillment has created a challenging situation before role in meeting this challenge and are making concerted efforts to fill this important gap.
C-DAC also develops entrepreneurs and designers in electronics, maintains close links with industries, R & D Centres and academic institutions undertakes product development, contract research and consultancy.
C-DAC Centres are imparting training annually to about 350 students through short-term training courses. The C-DAC training programmes are well received by industry as well as individuals who desire to setup their own industries.
So far, most of the students trained in these Centres have been suitably employed by industry or have become self-employed.
C-DAC, Mohali established in May 1989 caters to the training, consultancy, design and product development needs of electronics industry and allied sectors and also promotes potential entrepreneurs through various services and training programmes. The Centre has recently been awarded ISO 9002 Certification.
C-DAC Mohali has its own impressive building having a covered area of approximately 4300sq. Mtr. In a 10 acre plot near Semiconductor Complex Ltd. The location of the Centre in the ELTOP (Electronics Town of Punjab) Complex amidst a large number of industries manufacturing electronics product relating to computers, peripherals, communication equipment and components, offers a great professional challenge to the faculty and staff of the Centre.
The institute has a student’s hostel with all modern facilities. The Centre, at present, offers courses relating to Product Design and Technology, Microprocessor based System Design, Quality and Reliability aspects of Electronics Equipment, Manufacturing Technologies, Biomedical instrumentation, Communication Systems, Maintenance Engineering, Power Electronics, PCB Technology, Computers in Industry, Transformer Design and Technology, Management of Electronic Industry and Entrepreneurship Development in Electronics etc.
Special industry –oriented courses related to computer communications and networking, ASIC design, EMI/EMC, Micro controllers, switched mode power supplies, advance microprocessors, management information systems, computer aided design and data base management are regularly conducted a the Centre.
C-DAC, Mohali has the following 11 laboratories having sophisticated state of the art equipment and latest versions of all major software packages: Microprocessor Lab, Computer Lab, Measurement Lab, Prototype Development Lab, PCB Lab, Power Electronics Lab, Digital Communication Lab, Bio-Medical Equipment Lab and R & D Lab.
The Centre has so far conducted over 400 courses and has trained more than 5000 students through these courses. The institute has its own hostel and catering facility. Air-conditioned accommodation for the course participants is also available. Beside this, there are a number of hotels in the city, which charge reasonable rates for accommodation.
Healthcare is increasingly becoming technology oriented. Sophisticated machines are being used in almost all medical settings. This equipment not only requires special operational training but also their maintenance is very costly in monetary as well as opportunity terms.
To facilitate maintenance of these equipment the operators are required to be made more conversant with the technology, simple handling and maintenance processes.
Trained Biomedical Engineers are required to take care of these systems cost-effectively. Specially trained engineers are required to take up the repair & maintenance of these systems.
The course aims at:·
Preparing engineers to take up repairs medical equipment. · Preparing medical personnel to maintain & use medical equipment optimally
Whereas the participants after training will be assets to their countries, C-DAC, Mohali will be contributing in building up professional interaction amongst the countries.
The trained participants will be effective in – Savings for the Hospital – Direct savings in equipment repair and maintenance costs Savings in terms of enhanced equipment life Capacity building for their nation Trained manpower for repair and service of various medical equipment is scarce in developing and under developed nations.
This training shall contribute immensely towards meeting these manpower needs. Proper utilization and effective management of medical equipment
The equipment can be utilized to best in most effective manner if one is fully trained on its technology. This will also help in identification proper equipment requirements and their procurement.
YEAR & DATE OF Estb. : May 1989
Institute Guest House
Duration and Work Schedule
No. of participants per course: Maximum 25 weeks
Financial Estimates: US $ 200 per participant per week
- B.E/Diploma in Electronics/ Electrical/ Instrumentation. Engineers aspiring to take up hospital equipment maintenance jobs.
- Hospital staff involved in maintenance & management of medical equipment.
- Junior or Middle level officers having the prior basic knowledge of Electronics
Steps for International students Admissions
- Application: Submit the application form along with photocopies of the required documents and one photograph.
- Letter of acknowledgement: When your application is received, you will be sent a letter of acknowledgement informing you that your application has been registered. Students will also be intimated if additional information is required
- Confirmed admission: A letter of confirmed admission is sent when the course tuition fee is paid. This letter may be used by foreign students to apply for a student visa.
- Final information package: Four weeks prior to the commencement of classes, information pertaining to hostels, academic calendar, travel and local hotel will be sent. This letter will also indicate the date of registration at CDAC,Mohali
- Registration: Students are advised to reach Mohali 2-3 days prior to the commence of classes for submission of their official documents. They can also move into the allotted hostels.
BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING TECHNIQUES:-
- Basic & Digital Electronics
- Use of Test Equipment e.g.CRO, DMM & Tools
- Soldering Techniques & Practice
- Troubleshooting techniques
MICROCONTROLLERS (architecture, programming and interfacing):-
- Introduction to mcs-51 family of microcontrollers, architecture of 8051, Memory concepts
- Timers and Interrupts, serial communication, Interfacing concepts
REPAIR & MAINTENANCE OF MEDICAL EQUIPMENT :-
Theory of operation, related physics, physiology, usage (application), handling, operation, routine maintenance and repairs of following equipment:
- Anaesthesia Machine – Basic diagnostic equipment (Stethoscope and BP apparatus)
- Suction Machine
- Pulse Oximeter
- Cardiac monitor
- Microscope (Optical)
- Semi-Auto Analyzer
- Centrifuge & oven
- X-Ray & Ultrasound machine
- Short-Wave Diathermy
- Ultrasonic Diathermy & Ventilator
- Baby Incubator
- Cardiac Pacemaker
- Heart Lung Machine
- Maintenance of battery operated Medical equipment
- Use of computers in equipment and healthcare Management
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT MANAGEMENT
Preventive maintenance schedules/ Procedures, Equipment specification ( framing/comparison), Equipment inspection & testing, Equipment management system
- Introduction to telemedicine technology
- Overview of International standards
- Demonstration of telemedicine technology
- Hands-on practice
PROJECT WORK AND TRAINING
- Library reading assignment and hands on Maintenance work
- Visit to local hospitals and their maintenance workshops
- Visit to local medical equipment industries.
INDUSTRIAL VISITS Visits to various hospitals and industries will be arranged to have a hands-on feet and understanding of the bio-medical equipment.
for indian nationals
For admission application may be sent on a plain paper stating course applied for, name, mailing address, educational qualification, practical experience and a demand draft/cash for the applicable fee drawn in favour of “The Director”,C-DAC, Mohali. Fee can be paid in two equal installments for Diploma courses.
# Contents of any particular course, if required, can be obtained from Training Counsellor, C-DAC Mohali.
# Course Fee once deposited will not be refunded.
Request for hostel accommodation should be indicated in the application for admission
Room Rent: Rs.15/- per day per bed; Air-Conditioned Guest is Rs.250/- per day per bed; Meals: Rs.55/- per day(Approx)