Call for Papers: IEEE BioRob 2012 IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics
June 24-28, 2012 Roma, Italy
Sponsored by IEEE Robotics and Automation Society & IEEE Engineering, Medicine, and Biology Society
The fourth IEEE RAS/EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics – BioRob 2012 – is
a joint effort of the two IEEE Societies of Robotics and Automation – RAS – and Engineering, Medicine, and Biology –
BioRob covers both theoretical and experimental challenges posed by the application of robotics and mechatronics in
medicine and biology. The primary focus of Biorobotics is to analyze biological systems from a “biomechatronic” point of
view, trying to understand the scientific and engineering principles underlying their extraordinary performance.
Biorobotic systems can also be used as powerful experimental platforms for investigations in the biological domain, e.g.
for basic research in neuroscience. This profound understanding of how biological systems work, behave and interact can
be used for two main objectives: to guide the design and fabrication of novel, high performance bio-inspired machines and
systems, for many different applications; and to develop novel nano, micro-, macro- devices that can act upon, substitute
parts of, and assist human beings in prevention, diagnosis, surgery, prosthetics, rehabilitation and personal assistance.
BioRob is a highly interdisciplinary conference that brings together scientists and engineers from different backgrounds to
share and learn about research activities in this fast growing field.
The IEEE RAS and EMBS share this vision and thus jointly sponsor this conference.
The technical program of IEEE BioRob2012 will consist of invited talks, special sessions, posters, and paper
presentations. Submitted papers must describe original work, in the form of modeling abstractions, algorithms, theoretical
analysis, case studies, and experiments. Papers can cover areas of Biorobotics and Biomechatronics including:
· Technology for assisted surgery and diagnosis
· Rehabilitation and assistive robotics
· Micro/nano technologies in medicine and biology
· Prosthetic devices
· Wearable assistive and augmenting devices
· Biological systems modeling
· Biologically-inspired systems
· Biomechatronic and human-centred design
· Human-machine interaction
· Locomotion and manipulation in robots and biological systems
· Technology Assessment, Ethical and Social Implications of Biorobotics and Biomechatronics
Papers Submission: Author(s) should submit full papers electronically in double column IEEEcompliant PDF format. All
papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will have a choice for oral and/or poster presentations, and will be
published in CD-ROM. Posters will be displayed throughout the conference and Poster Sessions will be scheduled for
author/audience interaction. Six pages are allowed per paper, and detailed instructions for paper preparation and
submission will be available on the conference web site: www.biorob2012.org
Venue: The venue for the conference is downtown Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world where art meets
with history and progress. Rome is easily accessible from all over the world by two International airports (Leonardo da
Vinci – Fiumicino and Ciampino), high-speed railway and highway.
Submission of full papers: November 30, 2011
Paper acceptance notification: February 29, 2012
Final paper submission: March 31, 2012
Categories: Assistive Technology, Biomechanics, Biomedical Engineering, Case Studies, Computer Modeling,
Nanotechnology, Neuroscience, Physical Rehabilitation , Prosthetics, Robotics
Audience: Biomedical Engineer, Computer Scientist, Neuroscientist, Physical Therapist, Physician Researcher,
- International Conference on Electronics, Biomedical Engineering and its applications. (ICEBEA’2011) (biomedikal.in)
- Latest Ranking of Biomedical Engineering programmes in U.S (biomedikal.in)
- Ph.D Positions in Biomedical Engineering & regenerative Medicine (biomedikal.in)
- Biomedical Device to recover from Knee Injury (biomedikal.in)
- BIOSTEC 2012:5TH International Conference on Biomedical Engineering Systems & Technology (biomedikal.in)