About The Awards:
The number of interns will be restricted to the number of projects available. The selected interns are required to work full time for four to six months on the project and will be given a fixed stipend of Rs. 10,000/- per month. Accommodation may be provided subject to availability.
Kindly visit the “How To Apply” page for applying.
Click on the following link: http://www.ircc.iitb.ac.in/IRCC-Webpage/rnd/HRMSLoginPage.jsp for submitting application form
|Last Date for submission of Application form||October 5, 2012|
|Tentative Dates for Interview||October 29, 2012- November 9, 2012|
|Duration of Internship||Four to six months between Dec 2012 and Jun 2013|
IIT Bombay has made concerted efforts to align its R&D focus with the national goal of achieving technological self-reliance. Students and faculty conduct research projects in thrust areas of science and engineering. Its preeminent position at the cutting-edge of research is reflected in its impressive list of research projects, which cater to both our national needs and global developments.
Education and research are the twin pillars of IITB and the ambience is one in which new ideas and creativity can flourish. A key goal of the Institute is to provide a creative atmosphere in which higher studies and research thrive amongst the students and the faculty. IIT Bombay’s commitment to merging education with the creation of knowledge provides a fertile ground for productive research that has led to a range of scientific and technological achievements.
We feel that the main ingredient for successful R & D is enthusiastic young minds. It is from this view point that we have introduced the IITB Research Internship Awards to engage bright external students on it challenging research projects.
- Should be in the Second year of a Masters program, or third / fourth year of a Bachelors program. Branch / discipline of study will be as per the project requirements specified by IIT Bombay Faculty (Internship Guide).
- Should be among the top 10% in all the previous years in your discipline in the College / University / Institute. A certificate from the Principal (in the prescribed format)to this effect will have to be submitted at the time of applying.
- Should be a full-time student while applying and till the completion of the Internship. You may submit a partial project report before (e.g., in April) the completion of the Internship (e.g., in June) if the academic calendar of your College / Institute / University requires you to do so, with the prior consent of the Internship Guide.
- Should be able to work full-time for the Internship. Part-time internship is not allowed. A certificate to the effect that there are no course work requirements during the internship period has to be submitted at the time of applying.
The selection procedure consists of preliminary screening of applications, followed by test/ interviews.
Selection criteria will include consistently brilliant academic performance (relative rank in the class/University), work carried out by the student besides his regular academic work, participation/recognition in competitions such as Techfest, Olympiads, National Talent Search Exams, and performance in the interview.
Return train fare by the shortest route (IInd / Sleeper Class) will be paid to outstation candidates called for interview. You will have to submit the ticket for onward journey and photocopy of the ticket for the return journey.
Interviews are likely to be held during the second half of October 2012.
Accommodation will be provided subject to availability.
How To Apply:
The application process consists of an online application to be submitted through this webpage. A link to appropriate forms will be available here when the application process begins. Please read the description and eligibility criteria carefully before filling the application form.
For applying, click on the following link:
- It is mandatory to register before filling the application form.
- After clicking on the above link kindly click on the “New Applicants register here.”
- Fill in the mandatory fields to get registered.
- Login to fill the application form with your new username and password.
- Please click on the last line mentioning IITB RESEARCH INTERNSHIP AWARDS 2012-13 (Please do not use this link for Position under Project given in Job Opportunities page)
The online application requires:
- Uploading your statement of purpose (250 words) describing your interest in research and how diversity and this opportunity would advance your goals. Applications for internship must be accompanied by a statement of purpose answering questions such as: Why is an applicant interested in a particular project? What specific background, skills, and experience does an applicant have for the project? What is the applicant’s long term career plan? What role does this project play in it? What role does an internship at IITB play in the career plan? This list is only illustrative and the applicants are encouraged to think beyond these questions while writing their statement of purpose.