Healthcare Technology Innovation Centre (HTIC) of IIT Madras is an R&D centre established through a joint initiative of IIT Madras and Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India. Since its inception in 2011, HTIC has evolved into a unique and leading med-tech innovation ecosystem in the country bringing together more than 20 medical institutions, industry, government agencies, collaborating with HTIC in developing affordable healthcare technologies for unmet clinical needs. HTIC’s technologies are reaching the field, touching lives, enabling business and benefiting society. A video summary of HTIC is available at
Going forward, we envision HTIC becoming a national asset in affordable healthcare technology innovation of global standards and creating impact in healthcare.
HTIC runs an annual innovation fellowship programme aimed at creating innovators and innovations in healthcare technology to address growing healthcare needs of India. The 18 months fellowship programme is designed for interested candidates from diverse background, such as engineering, medicine, business administration, public health, and social sciences, both fresh graduates and ones with work experience.
To create innovators and innovations in healthcare technology to address growing healthcare needs of India.
The fellowship programme consists of three phases. In the first phase, fellows will undergo immersion in hospital or community health setting to get familiarized with processes and to identify unmet clinical and healthcare needs. In the second phase, fellows will design and develop a solution for addressing the need(s) identified in the first phase. In the third and final phase, fellows will validate the developed solution and prepare a plan for its field deployment. Fellows will work in a team of two or three.
The fellowship programme is intended to create a cohort of people in the country in healthcare technology area, who have a deep understanding of the innovation process, healthcare challenges, healthcare technology R&D process, and experience of working in interdisciplinary teams to develop solutions for complex healthcare problems. After the completion of the fellowship, fellows will have a wide range of career opportunities, such as technology innovators, R&D engineers, clinical inventors, and entrepreneurs.
Selection process of the innovation fellowship will comprise of two stages.
- Stage 1: This stage will involve shortlisting of candidates based on curriculum vitae (CV) and description of any project (not more than 1000 words) undertaken by the candidate previously with a special emphasis on the points such as need, innovation, impact, solution, and development process (not necessarily a med-tech project).
- ?Stage 2: Shortlisted candidates from the first stage of the selection process will be invited for personal interview at HTIC. The shortlisted candidates will be provided with a list of problem statements. They will have to choose one problem statement from the list and will have to outline how they would approach this problem to develop a solution during their personal interview.
Innovation fellows are paid a full stipend during the period of the fellowship and will work full-time on fellowship activities.
Successful candidates would have the following attributes:
- At least an undergraduate degree in one of the following fields related to healthcare technology innovation – engineering, medicine, business administration, public health, and social science
- Work experience is desirable, but not essential
- An open mind to learn and be able to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Highly driven and energetic who take initiative, think outside the box, and have tenacity to handle complexity and ‘see things through’
- Enthusiasm in hands-on-work, to build working prototypes or to undertake field work for gathering insights and deploying solutions
28th February 2014
The interested candidates are requested to send their CV and project description to: