Advantages of Cochlear Implants
- Can enable one to hear conversation and thus learn spoken language with relative ease, particularly for those with severe-profound hearing loss
- May enable one to use a regular telephone when otherwise not possible
- Avoids problems of acoustic feedback & earmold issues
- Greater ease in high frequency consonant perception, e.gs., /sh/, /s/, /f/, /t/, /k/, /p/, /h/
- Distance hearing is likely better than with hearing aids, although FM systems are still needed in classrooms due to noise factor.
- May be greater potential for incidental learning