MHRD-AICTE-TEQIP FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
BIOMECHANICS FOR ENGINEERS (BME 2013)
Biomechanics is an emerging interdisciplinary field with contribution from professionals of various engineering disciplines and other fields like medicine, industry, physiotherapy, sports etc. In biomechanics, the structural and functional behaviour of biological systems are studied using the principles of mechanics and engineering.
Developing methods, procedures and devices to improve impaired movements of patients with musculoskeletal diseases/disorders is an important area of R&D in biomechanics. An understanding of the biomechanics of the system and expertise of engineering, medical and industrial fields are essential to develop safe, affordable and accessible solutions for such problems. However such an interdisciplinary approach, though quite needed, is still at its initial stage in an Indian context.
The main aim of the programme is to provide an interdisciplinary forum to present and discuss how biomechanics and its applications can be effectively used for treating impaired body movements. The programme will provide an introduction to musculoskeletal biomechanics and its applications in orthopaedics, rehabilitation medicine, physiotherapy etc. The participants are expected to get an exposure to many biomechanical problems related to musculoskeletal systems and their solution requirements from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Mechanics of musculoskeletal system and human movement
- Diseases and disorders of musculoskeletal system affecting movement
- Applications of musculoskeletal biomechanics
- Gait analysis for a quantitative assessment of human movement
- Design and analysis of artificial devices to assist human movement
- Applications of biomechanics – perspective of medical professionals
An interdisciplinary team of expertswith research interests in the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics and related fields will handle various programme sessions. The team members consists of experts from engineering, medical and R&D organizations from India and abroad, other than members from NIT Calicut. A tentative list of Invited experts is given below:
- Dr Anantharaman Gopalakrishnan, Civil and Environment Engineering, Imperial College, London
- Dr B. Ravi, Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Dr P. Gangadharan, Orthopaedics, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut
- Dr T. S. Gopakumar, Department of Orthopaedics, Government Medical College, Trivandrum
- Dr K. Kurien Isaac, Department of Aerospace Engineering, IIST, Trivandrum
- Mr. P.D.Sinildas, Physiotherapist, V. K. M Child Development Centre, Malappuram
- Dr Suresh Devasahayam, Department of Bioengineering, Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Dr Venkatesh Balasubramanian, Department of Engineering Design, IIT Madras
Faculty from various AICTE approved Engineering colleges/Institutions and professionals from Industries/R&D/other organizations with basic degree in Engineering with an interest in Biomechanics and its engineering applications. In the registration form the participants must provide a brief write up about their research interest in biomechanics and this programme.
Last date of receipt of provisional registration form: November 4, 2013
Email notification to list of selected participants: November 6, 2013
Last date for receipt Demand Draft for final registration: November 15, 2013
Publishing the final list of selected candidates: November 18, 2013
Dr Vinu Palissery
Civil Engineering Department,
NIT Calicut, NIT Campus P.O. Kozhikode-673601, KERALA, INDIA
Phone: +91- 4952286233 (O)
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER http://www.bme2013.nitc.ac.in/